The NBA just released its latest jersey and merchandise sales. And the survey says, Carmelo Anthony is number one! He leapfrogged the league’s reigning MVP and champion, LeBron James, to claim the top spot. This is just further proof that Melo, the current Eastern Conference Player of the Week, is having a career year. Melo’s surge to number one also helped the Knicks maintain the number one position in merchandise sales, an honor they’ve held since the start of the season.
Here are some other interesting takeaways:
– Melo jumped from #4 to overtake LeBron at #1.
– Despite not playing all season, Derrick Rose clocked in at #5.
– The rebranding of the New Jersey Nets to the Brooklyn Nets has helped the team’s popularity soar. Deron Williams has the sixth most popular jersey. Also worth noting is a year ago the Nets were ranked 31st in apparel sales, dead last among current teams plus the now-defunct Seattle Seahawks. This year, they’re #4. Look at that Jay-Z effect in action.
– The Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, and Oklahoma City Thunder each have two players among the Top 15 jersey sales.
– Kyrie Irving is definitely the future. He’s the only second-year player to crack the Top 15. He’s ranked #11.
– Amar’e Stoudemire was not on the list at the start of the season, but recently emerged at #14.
– Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash dropped out of the Top 15.
Top 15 Jersey Sales
1. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
2. LeBron James, Miami Heat
3. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
5. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
6. Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets
7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
8. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
9. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
10. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
11. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers+
12. Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers
13. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
14. Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Knicks*
15. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
Top 10 Most Popular Merchandise (by Team)
1. New York Knicks
2. Miami Heat
3. Los Angeles Lakers
4. Brooklyn Nets
5. Chicago Bulls
6. Boston Celtics
7. Oklahoma City Thunder
8. Los Angeles Clippers
9. San Antonio Spurs
10. Philadelphia 76ers*
For more information, go here.